ProSol sponsored its second annual blood drive in support of the American Red Cross. We had 13 total people who donated blood to this worthy cause. Thanks to all the people who helped put this event together, and for those who took time to donate blood.
Some quick facts on blood needs:
Facts about blood needs
1. Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
2. More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
3. One out of every 10 people admitted in a hospital needs blood.
4. Total blood transfusions in a given year: 14 million (2001).
5. The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
6. The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
7. The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
8. Sickle cell disease affects more than 80,000 people in the U.S., 98% of whom are African American. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
9. More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
10. A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 units of blood.